Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Obsessions Abroad: Baltimore, Oh My Cannoli

Baltimore, land of a million panhandlers, what can an Avatarded Muppet Fan such as myself find to do in such a place? Well first of all she can buy the new LoveCom manga at the Barnes and Nobles, but she can do that anywhere. She might also find "One Frog Can Make A Difference: Kermit's Guide to Life in the 90's" at a used book store, because a true Muppet fan wants to read whatever Kermit has to write, no matter how horribly outdated it is.

Also, she might also lose her sunglasses and a hour of her life to the panhandlers.

But because Baltimore is panhandler city, it also has a plethora of street performers. Really good ones too. In Baltimore I observed street performers in the forms of Singers, Saxophonists, Balloon Animal Makers, Bagpipe Players, Unicycle Riders, and many more. It was sort of like being at a carnival.

All this aside though, the real reason people come to Baltimore isn't for the Science Museum, and it isn't for the Or-li-o's games, and it isn't for the Aquarium, it's for the Cannolis.

Let me tell you, on the first day in Baltimore I spotted Vaccaro's, this little Italian pastry shop, and I knew right away that their cannolis would be amazing. So I made it my goal to get my mother to get me one. And I accomplished that goal. And for awhile I carried it around bragging about how I had a cannoli. And then I ate it. And I was right, it was AMAZING.

Let me tell about cannolis, because they are truly a wonderful food. I still remember the first time I got a cannoli. I was in 4th grade and I was over at my friend Celeste's house and we walked over to the bakery and i got a cannoli. Now I know that story is not that amazing, except for the cannoli. Which is why I remember it, because of the cannoli, because cannolis are really amazing.

And do you know what the German word for cannoli is? Yeah, it's cannoli. It's that amazing.

So if you ever go to Baltimore, go get your cannoli. It will make your trip fantastic, even if the panhandlers do have your sunglasses.

No comments: